Welcome to our latest edition of “Royal Rotations” featuring Riyana Kherekar. Where we feature and chat with the coolest sneakerheads in South Africa.
- My name is Riyana Riri Kherekar, known as gudgalriri.
- Proudly from Cape Town, Kaapstad where the culture is rich.
- Current occupation working in the motor industry as an invoice/admin clerk but always hustling and grinding on the side.
How many pairs of sneakers do you currently own?
- Currently in the collection is about 25 pairs, a few pairs that can no longer be worn but the value is still very much there, to me sneakers can never fully lose their value.
What are your top three holy grail sneakers of all time?
- My top 3 holy grails has to be the Vince Carter 2, Nike Air Bus Max, and the Total Air 9 Lisa Leslie’s. I have a big love for shox soles and definitely consider myself a bubble head and this top 3 has them all!
What got you into sneaker collecting in the first place?
- I would say what got me into sneakers would be my dad and his brothers, my first pair of shoes was actually a Fila, I still have it and its about 23 years old. My dad and uncles weren’t just into sneakers but the way they dressed too was mind boggling to me, they reminded me of the type of guys I saw in 00s music videos but CPT always had their own unique style though and I wanted to be as cool as them when I grew up. I knew girls my age was into princess dresses and things but then you would find me walking around with a Barbie denim pants paired with a Nike Cortez on my feet!
What is your favorite way to style a pair of kicks with an outfit?
- I never style a pair of kicks with an outfit, I style an outfit with a pair of kicks! I always say, your outfit doesn’t compliment your shoes, your shoes compliment your outfit. Before going out, I always pick a shoe first depending on the place and what type of event or so that it is. I would mostly pick something I never wore in a while just to keep a fair rotation then choose an outfit that matches with it, sneakers first always!
If you could only wear one pair of sneakers for the rest of your life, which silhouette and colorway would you choose?
- If there is one sneaker I can wear for the rest of my life it would be a Nike Air Max Speedturf in black/white/volt. Firstly for comfortability, secondly it goes with any outfit and thirdly how can anyone go wrong with a Speedturf?
What is your ultimate favorite sneaker brand and why?
- I will always choose Nike over everything, Nike has always been my brand, only recently started with Jordans but only have a handful of pairs in those. I got asked so much times if Nike sponsors me and my answer would always be I wish haha! But I enjoy everything about the brand and it has a positive message behind it, we can do anything with JUST DO IT! Also the sneakers this brand has made, anything with an air unit (bubble) is a game changer for me! And I just can’t get enough of it.
What are your go-to sneaker stores to shop the latest drops?
- Jack Lemkus and Shelflife in Town is the only shops I turn to for latest drops! And Unwanted Kickz in Wynberg is where I go to if I want shoes that you won’t find in any other shops in Kaapstad that rare air things!
Last question, checks or strips?
- Checks over everything, I don’t own one stripe item.
If you would like to follow and show some love, here are her social media links and profiles below: