Do you want to live longer, feel better and have energy on fleek? Just exercise. The health benefits of regular physical activity are undeniable. Everyone can benefit from exercise regardless of gender, age or physical ability. Not convinced yet? In this week’s episode of Shape your life Up Fitness Freak shares with us the three ways exercise can lead to a sexier, healthier you.
1. Exercise helps you to have control over your weight
Exercise can prevent excessive weight gain and help maintain weight loss. When you move your body, you burn calories. The more intense the physical activity, the more calories you burn. Regular trips to the gym are great, but don’t worry if you can’t find a large chunk of time to exercise every day. Any amount of activity is better than none at all. To reap the benefits of exercise, just get more active throughout your day — take the stairs instead of the elevator or rev up your household chores. Consistency is key. Regular trips to the gym are great but it’s not a train smash if you are pressed for time, exercise can be incorporated in your normal daily activities. For example, try taking the stairs instead of the lift or do some cleaning- it’s a great calorie burner!
2. Exercise improves your moods
Need to blow of some steam? Or boost your emotional state? Take a short walk. Exercise releases “feel good” hormones that will have you relaxed and less anxious. You can also feel better about your physical appearance when you exercise regularly, leaving you with a higher self-esteem and confidence. Exercising regularly also helps with treating depression, in-fact most doctors recommend exercise more than anything to patients who are suffering from depression, because not only does exercise treat depression, but it also prevents people from getting depressed again. According to better health channel experts, exercising regularly can have the following positive impacts on your mood:
• Exercise helps chronic depression by increasing serotonin (which helps your brain regulate mood, sleep and appetite) or brain-derived neurotrophic factor (which helps neurons to grow).
• Exercise reduces immune system chemicals that can make depression worse.
• Exercise increases your level of endorphins, which are natural mood lifters.
• Exercise helps by getting your sleep patterns back to normal. We know getting enough sleep can protect the brain from damage.
• Exercise gives you a focused activity that can help you feel a sense of accomplishment.
• Exercise limits the effect of stress on your brain.
3. Exercise lowers your chance of disease
Ask any doctor what is the first advice they give to their patients… yes, you are right! Exercise regularly. Wether you are concerned about high blood pressure, or Heart disease, Regardless of your size, exercising increases the amount of “good cholesterol” in your blood and lowers the amount of bad fatty acids. According to a study conducted at the university of California, men who reported to be inactive for a large part of the week, have a 64% higher chance of cardiovascular disease.
Here are some of Fitness Freak’s favorite exercises that you can do every morning and every evening:
1 minute high knees – 30 second mountain climbers
1 minute jumping jacks – 30 crunches
1 minute jog on the spot – 20 flutter kicks
1 minute rest – 1 minute plank
• Focus on getting your form right- 5 good squats are more effective than 20 bad ones
• Find an activity that you enjoy- It is important to find something exciting and that works for you. Doing something you find tedious or boring will leave you feeling demotivated.
• Be consistent- exercise is only effective if you keep at it at on a regular basis.
by: Mpho Nelson